The plant started operation based on the order of the Minister of Forestry No. II 003/206 of 24 October 1951 under the name Hajnowski Zakład Przemysłu Maszynowego Leśnictwa. The area of activity defined in the order was production of technical devices and equipment, transport equipment and forestry tools, repair and installation of machines, technical and transport equipment. The plant was set up based on the Forest Railway Administration mechanical workshops, according to the report of the National Wood Agency of 31 December 1951. Konstanty Rybakowicz was the first manager of the plant. The company employed 120 people at that time. 2–3 steam locomotives were repaired each year.
The company grows further:
- rok 1962 – launching production of wood drying kilns and forest ground cover dryers
- rok 1964 – 27 employee families move in to a company residential building with area of 6356 m²
- rok 1971 – construction of garages with woodworking shop
1972 – most rapid growth of the company, opening of a machining hall, kitchen and canteen, welding shop, forging shop and an assembly hall with paint shop.
First new year's party took place at a new recreation room with the area of 330 m². It is a staff meeting place and a venue of cultural events. Many well known groups and artists appeared there.
That year, the company also financed the construction of a kindergarten building that is currently used for the purposes of the Vocational Training Centre.
In December, a new six-storey administration building was opened. Today it is Hajnówka's tallest building.
This investment resulted in production growth and increased employment. New locksmiths and turners were trained at the local vocational school to work for the company.
At that time, the major products supplied were wood drying kilns, sold on the Polish market and also to the former USSR, Yugoslavia, Romania, Ghana, Mongolia, Egypt and Pakistan.
The year 1990 marked the change of the company name to "HAMECH" MACHINERY PLANT.
In that period, the head of the company was Andrzej Wilczyński, who strived to launch new products and enter new markets. The company started production of large-size drying kilns, TP – 900 saw and the Ground Timber Waste Incineration Plants. They were delivered to clients in Poland and abroad – mostly on the eastern market.
Since 2002 the company has been managed by Bernard Żylik. The major products include large-size drying kilns, Heating Assemblies, Automated Ground Timber Waste Incineration Plants, DTP – 400 panel saws and TP – 900 saws for log cutting. Major clients are located in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Chile, England, Hungary and Poland.
In 2013, as a result of the privatisation process, most company shares (85 percent) were bought by the Sleeper Treatment Plant Czeremcha Sp. z o.o. This way the enterprise became a member of the KZN Bieżanów Capital Group. Currently the company is specialised in construction of complete drying kilns and power engineering facilities leveraging proven technologies. In 2017, the company started production of railway and tram tracks within the holding.
KZN Bieżanów Group
Best business models correspond to the actual needs of the market. We decided to put that into practice. Kolejowe Zakłady Nawierzchniowe "Bieżanów" have been building railway turnouts for almost 80 years.